When it comes to the operation and management of your commercial property, you can't afford to cut corners.
Your facility is your income earner so you need to ensure that it is running at peak efficiency at all times. This is where Facility Management (FM) consultancy comes in.
Companies that provide FM consultancy strive to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their client's operations by delivering expert advice, support, and resources. While the benefits of engaging an FM consultant can be vast, many organizations are hesitant to do so due to misunderstandings about the role and value of FM consultancy.
In this blog post, we will explore what FM consultancy is, and explain why it matters for commercial property owners and facility managers. Stay tuned!
What is a Facility Management Consultant?
In a nutshell, Facility Management consultancy is the provision of professional services to help businesses optimize the performance of their facility. This can encompass everything from project management and construction, to operations and maintenance.
The role of the FM consultant is to assess the client's facility-related problems and needs and develop solutions that improve efficiency and effectiveness. In order to do this, FM consultants must work with the existing Facility Management professionals of the organization to have a deep understanding of the company and then marry this with their knowledge of the Facility Management industry and the various technologies and best practices used to manage commercial properties.
Unlike traditional, hardcore FM that deals with the operational aspects of a property — security, janitorial, grounds maintenance, HVAC — FM consultants take a more strategic approach, focusing on improving the overall efficiency of their client's facility operations. In fact, many times the FM consultants, along with the company’s facility manager, work out strategies that can better enhance the FM department’s performance. This can be done through audits of the existing policies, processes, and procedures to identify opportunities for improvement based on the current FM department’s needs. This may include the development of strategic facility management plans and also training opportunities for the company’s FM department.
By partnering with a consultant, organizations can tap into this expertise and knowledge to drive improvements in their operations.
The benefits of having a Facility Management consultant
There are many reasons why Facility Management consultancy can be beneficial for commercial property owners and facility managers. Here are just a few:
- Improve efficiency and effectiveness: One of the main goals of Facility Management consultants is to help their clients improve the efficiency and effectiveness of their facility operations. By taking a strategic, big-picture approach to facility management, consultants can help their clients optimize their use of resources, resulting in increased overall efficiency.
- Access to expert advice: Facility Management consultants have access to a wealth of knowledge and resources that can be used to benefit their clients. From facility audits and assessments to project management and FM training, consultants can provide the guidance and support needed to ensure successful outcomes.
- Drive positive change: Perhaps one of the most important benefits of Facility Management consultancy is the ability to drive positive change within an organization. By working with a consultant, facility managers can develop innovative solutions that improve the overall efficiency of their operations — ultimately leading to better business results.
- Strategic thinking: Operational Facility Managers tend to be so focused on the day-to-day operations of the building that it's difficult for them to step back and take a strategic view of the facility. A Facility Management consultant can help you see the big picture and develop long-term strategies for your facility.
- Improved decision-making: A Facility Management consultant can help you make informed decisions about your facility by conducting a comprehensive analysis of your facility and your organization's needs.
- Cost savings: By partnering with a Facility Management consultant, you can save money on your facility operations. In many cases, the cost of hiring a consultant is outweighed by the cost savings generated by the improved efficiency of your facility.
- Peace of mind: When it comes to facility management, there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution. With so many variables to consider — from building type and location to organizational culture and budget — it can be difficult to know if you're making the right decisions for your facility. A Facility Management consultant can provide the peace of mind that comes with knowing you're making informed decisions about your facility. Additionally, because this person is an unbiased third party, they can offer an objective perspective on your facility's operations.
How to choose a Facility Management consultant
There are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a Facility Management consultant:
- Make sure they have experience in your industry: Facility Management consultants come from all different backgrounds and industries. When choosing a consultant, be sure to select one that has experience in your industry and understands the unique challenges you face.
- Choose a reputable company: There are many Facility Management consulting firms to choose from. When selecting a company, be sure to research its reputation and read reviews from past clients.
- Consider their services: Not all Facility Management consultants offer the same services. When choosing a consultant, be sure to select one that offers the services you need.
- Compare costs: Facility Management consulting services can vary widely in cost. Be sure to get quotes from several different consultants before making a decision.
- Ask for referrals: One of the best ways to find a reputable Facility Management consultant is to ask for referrals from other facility managers. If you know someone who has worked with a consultant, they may be able to provide you with some insight into their experience.
- Do your research: Once you've narrowed down your choices, be sure to do your research on each of the Facility Management consultants you're considering. Read their website, blog, and social media posts to get a better understanding of their company and its services.
Facility Management consultancy services can be a great resource for building owners and operators who are looking to improve their operations and achieve better business results. By partnering with a consultant, owners and operators can access the expertise and knowledge of a professional who understands the challenges of facility management. Additionally, consultants can provide an objective perspective on facility operations and help owners and operators make informed decisions about their facility. When selecting an FM consultant, be sure to choose one that has experience in your industry, offers the services you need, and is either part of a reputable company or has been referred to you by a trusted source.
If you're looking for an FM consultant with experience in your industry, the team at Acuitas Caribbean can help. We offer a variety of services that can help improve your facility's operations, including strategic planning, process improvement, and facility audits.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you achieve better business results.